Arts of the Swordsmen - May 12 - SAVE THE DATE!Our third Arts of the Swordsmen (AOTS) event will be held on Friday evening, May 12! This event is a fun way for our sons to develop and showcase their artistic talents: drama, dance, singing, musical instruments, and once again, a STOMP show! No previous artistic experience is required! Please do show your son this video from last year's STOMP performance:
Parent Travis Kiker of 9th grader Stone will organize our events. Travis will meet with the students at school soon and we will start rehearsals in early March. We do also have some fundraising aspects with this event. Areas of HELP NEEDED FROM PARENTS are:
- Are you able to mentor students to develop an artistic talent?
- Can you connect us to people who would be good mentors for our students to develop and showcase their talents?
- Asking businesses to donate door prizes for us to give away during the event, such as gift cards to grocery stores?
- Asking businesses for donated merchandise that we can raffle or auction off?
- Do you have a business or know of one who would want to buy an ad in our Playbill and be recognized as an event sponsor? We will have very reasonable advertising rates - more information coming soon.
IPF Budget UpdateThank you all for the fundraising you have helped us with so far this year!
- Net Fundraising Proceeds since July 1: $10,118
Major spending we have done to support school activities:
- Athletics: $2734 (including $1000 for basketball referees for home games, $569 for JV basketball uniforms, $200 for soccer, $560 for cross country uniforms)
- Educational: $5600 (including $2200 to support trip to St. Benedict's in New Jersey to learn about their student leadership model, $2500 to support salaries of instructors hired for the October Intensive Week, $220 for Honor Code t-shirts for students who went to Crucible Camp, $180 for dissection kits for science class, $350 to buy the student school planners given to all students)
- Social Activities: $400 (Teacher Appreciation luncheon, snacks for family events, Christmas party for students)
No Fuss Fundraisers in FebruaryWe have two opportunities for raising more funds in February:
- Selling donated merchandise at the Kids Exchange. Do you have any of these kids items (babies to teens) that are in good condition to donate to IA for us to sell: books, sports equipment, dolls, video games, old video game systems, kid and family movies on DVD, children's furniture, bikes, back packs, puzzles, board games, shoes, Nerf guns, toys, etc? Do your relatives and friends have kids items they are willing to donate to us? If so, please contact Anne York at IPF@ironacademy.org to arrange to deliver your items no later than Friday, Feb 3.
- Time to collect BOXTOPS! The BoxTops people have a deadline of submitting them by the end of February. We will have bags pinned to the bulletin board in each classroom for your sons to submit their BoxTops - please bring them to school by Friday, Feb 24. This is the last time to submit BoxTops this school year - please feel free to scour your pantry and clip them off food you haven't eaten yet! :)
Wrestling: Our wrestlers had their first tournament on Jan 17. While we lost the tournament, several of our students won their matches. Please come to cheer on our wrestlers in the IA gym at our next tournament on Thursday, Jan 26 at 5:30.
Basketball: The middle school basketball team has a record so far of 4 wins and 6 losses. The JV basketball team has an 0 and 3 record so far against more experienced high school teams. Both teams have several more games to play in the next three weeks. The list of games to come watch is on our events calendar.
Spring sports: Our spring sports of baseball and golf will begin in late February. Please have your son talk to Coach Mitchell soon if he is interested in baseball or golf.
Prospective Family Information Sessions for Iron Academy and Academy 31
Both schools are now enrolling for grades 6 to 10 for the 2017-2018 school year! There will be information sessions from February to April at Providence Baptist, Crossroads Fellowship, Colonial Baptist in Cary, and RFA (Raleigh First Assembly). Please send this webpage with the dates for the information sessions to anyone with sons or daughters who would be good fits for IA and A31: http://www.ironacademy.org/admissions/the-admissions-process/.