Teacher Appreciation Luncheon and Visa Gift Card Gifts on Wednesday, December 14Our faculty and staff do an AMAZING job with teaching and mentoring our sons in biblical manhood. As a show of our appreciation, we will celebrate with a Teacher Appreciation Luncheon on Wednesday, December 14 during the 11:20 lunch. Our IPF funds will pay for a meat dish and we have sign up slots to bring in soups, salads, desserts, etc. We will also need a couple of parent volunteers to watch our sons during their lunch so the teachers can enjoy their time together. Click on this SignUpGenius link below to sign up soon:
Our Teacher Appreciation Committee will also collect any monetary contributions that you would like to make toward Visa gift cards that we will give during the luncheon. Any contributions toward this gift are completely voluntary and choosing to contribute any amount, or none at all, would be fine. A useful guideline might be $5 to $10 per teacher that your son has. The cards will be from the entire school with no names included. Envelopes to put your contribution in will be sent home with your sons on Monday, Dec 5. You can pay with cash or check. If writing a check, you should write it to "Anne York". (To avoid income tax issues for the teachers, do NOT write the check to the school. This gift does not count as a charitable donation.) Parents will be available to collect your contributions during 3 carpool times: Wednesday afternoon Dec 7, Thursday morning Dec 8, and Friday morning Dec 9. Your son can also give your contribution to 9th grader Logan York no later than Monday, Dec 12. Thank you for your support of our dedicated teachers and staff!
Sunday Dec 11 to Tuesday Dec 13:
Two Christmas Shopping Opportunities to Benefit Iron Academy
1) Book Fair at Quail Ridge Books
Are there any book lovers on your Christmas shopping list from toddlers to senior citizens? If so, we are excited to offer our fundraising partnership with Quail Ridge Books! For any person who purchases any merchandise at their store between Dec 11 to Dec 13 and simply tells the cashier that they want to "support Iron Academy," then we receive a donation of 20% of that buyer's purchase amount! Come to the new Quail Ridge Books located in the North Hills Mall area at 4209-100 Lassiter Mill Road. Please let grandparents and other family and friends know about this opportunity to support IA. Reader's Club discounts do not apply for book fair purchases.
Quail Ridge will host two events during our book fair days.
- Have a food lover on your Christmas list? On Sunday Dec 11 from 2:00-4:00, they will have a book signing of Ashley Christensen's new cookbook "Poole's: Recipes and Stories from a Modern Diner." Ashley is the chef and owner of seven local restaurants: Poole's Diner, Beasley's Chicken + Honey, Chuck's, Fox Liquor Bar, Joule Coffee & Table, Death & Taxes, and Bridge Club all located in downtown Raleigh. Ashley's cooking and her philosophy of bright, fresh flavors and locally grown, seasonal ingredients have garnered local and national acclaim. In 2014, Ashley was awarded the James Beard Award for Best Chef Southeast.
- On Monday Dec 12 at 5:00 pm there will be a Christmas concert from the Raleigh Boychoir! Enjoy the beautiful music of Christmas while you shop for books.
2) 30% Off Sale on All New IA Spiritwear and Pre-Owned Clothing
THANK YOU GIFT WITH PURCHASE: Our gift to you for making either purchase is an Iron Academy car magnet! We will be notified by PayPal of any clothing purchases but simply let any IPF officer (Anne York, Heather Mauzy, Lisa Wald, Wendy Collier, Denise Lake) know if you do make a purchase at the book fair and we will give to you an IA car magnet to show our appreciation of your support! If you only want to purchase a magnet (or want a second or third magnet), we will put those on sale too at $3 instead of our regular price of $5 between Dec 11 to 13.
Also remember that we have several ways for IA to receive donations from retailers with no additional cost to you! See the tab above for information on how to use the phone app Shoparoo, the web browser plug-in Ziggedy for online shopping discounts, Harris-Teeter, Kroger, Office Depot/Office Max, Amazon, and BoxTops.
Updates from Mr. HahnNEW LOCATION: We had a terrific second meeting with a pastor and deacon board this past week for a new location for our school. Our lease proposal to them will be submitted to the church for approval on December 14. Please pray for this deal to come quickly and smoothly to fruition.
ADMISSIONS: For those who are not on Facebook, we had a recent post that you can copy and paste below if you know of any rising 6th to 10th graders who would be a good fit for IA:
Online Application is Open Now for 2017-2018! If you are looking for something better for you son, you need to check out Iron Academy.
Looking for an intentional discipleship community that works with you and your church to build your son according to the timeless principles of biblical manhood? That's Iron Academy.
Looking for a superb education that takes male learning preferences into account to achieve an astounding average first-year IQ growth rate of 8.6% and two-year average of almost 16%? That's Iron Academy.
Looking for an environment that strategically and effectively builds globally demanded higher-order critical thinking skills in ways consistent with modern cognitive science? That's Iron Academy.
Looking for daily, intensive, hands-on leadership training? That's Iron Academy too.
If your family is looking for an ally in the educational process, Iron Academy is here. Sounds too good to be true? Come and verify. Begin the process now and schedule a tour by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please feel free to also share this video with prospective families that shows what our unique school day is like by copying this link: https://youtu.be/DWRRwG7zu88
Two Day Lunch DeliveryStarting in January, we will be able to have Grand Street Pizza deliver lunches on both TUESDAYS and THURSDAYS! To start our first delivery on Tuesday, January 3, look for our Lunch SignUpGenius for January that will be distributed after Christmas. You must place your January order by Sunday, January 1.
School NewsDEBATE TEAM: On Monday Dec 12, Zach Wald and Brendan Hanna will use the cutting edge TelePresence technology from Cisco Systems in RTP to debate against Prestonwood Christian Academy in Texas! Forest Southwick will serve as the timekeeper.
BASKETBALL TEAM: Our middle school team is off to a great start with 2 wins and 1 loss! The JV basketball team will have its first game on Monday, Dec 5 against Cary Academy. The games are listed on our Events Calendar under the Welcome tab of the school's website. Home games are played at the Wendell Parks and Rec center at 601 W. Third Street, Wendell.
SPANISH CLASSES: Several of our Spanish classes are finishing up a unit on food and recipes. The students are assigned an interesting project to create a "Cooking Video" on how to cook a dish of Hispanic origin. The students researched the dish and its recipe and created a script for the video. Spanish class will be delicious when the dishes are brought in to eat!
BLADE MAINTENANCE PLANS: See the recent email message from Mr. Anderson that has your son's scores and feedback for his Blade Maintenance Plan. Discuss this plan with your son and develop a plan of action to address any areas that need improvement. Please review and sign the Blade Plan Form and return it to Mr. Anderson no later than Friday, Dec 16. That day is a mandatory Student Tribe Day.
EXAM SCHEDULE: Mr. Hahn recently emailed a listing of which exam will be on which day. The schedule for the week of Dec 12 to 16 is:
- Monday: All students will go to all classes for review with their teachers
- Tuesday (listing of exam or study time by each of the 4 class periods):
- 6th grade: Literature, Study Skills break, Bible, Math
- 7th grade: Science, Study Skills break, Bible, Spanish
- 8th grade: History, Study Skills break, Spanish, PE
- 9th grade: Spanish, Study Skills break, Science, PE
- 6th grade: Study Skills break, History, Study Skills break, Science
- 7th grade: Math, Study Skills break, Study Skills break, History
- 8th grade: Literature, Math, Study Skills break, Bible
- 9th grade: Greek, Literature, Study Skills break, Study Skills break
- 6th grade: Spanish, Study Skills break, PE, Chores
- 7th grade: Literature, Study Skills break, PE, Chores
- 8th grade: Study Skills break, watch Civil War documentary, Science, Chores
- 9th grade: History, Study Skills break, Math, Chores
- Friday: Mandatory Student Tribe Day